Chief Development Officer
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, an internationally recognized nonprofit organization founded in 1827, advances the wellbeing of the Philadelphia region by creating healthier living environments, building deeper connections between people, and increasing access to fresh food and economic opportunity
PHS seeks an innovative fundraising leader to serve as the Chief Development Officer (CDO) during this exciting and transformational time. The CDO will be a strategic leader possessing the skills to create, diversify, expand, and increase revenue in the areas of Membership, Annual Fund, Major Gifts, Foundation Grants, and Planned Giving.
Reporting to the President, the successful candidate will be a key member of the leadership team, have three direct reports and oversee a team of twelve. The successful candidate will support PHS stakeholders including the Board of Directors, the Development Committee, leadership team, staff, and community partners to achieve strategic and program initiative goals. The CDO will possess the stature and poise to work with philanthropic, business, community leaders and a cadre of high caliber volunteers.
PHS has retained Freeman Philanthropic Services, LLC to assist on this important recruitment.
PHS seeks an experienced fundraiser with a demonstrated track record to respond effectively to the responsibilities listed above. To fulfill the requirements of this position, a candidate must possess the following professional experience and personal qualities:
- Passion for the mission of PHS and the ability to communicate the mission in an inspiring manner to internal and external stakeholders;
- Fundraising vision and capacity to take PHS to its next level of excellence;
- Proven track record of creating and leading fundraising initiatives, which resulted in significant revenue growth, an expanded constituency base, and improved operations;
- Stature, credibility, and interpersonal skill to effectively engage and support leadership, staff, and community partners to achieve strategic funding goals;
- Demonstrated record of personal solicitations from individuals, corporations, and foundations, including the design and execution of the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) combined with intellectual curiosity and dexterity;
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.